Monday 16 January 2012

I can cross that off my bucket list

Yesterday, because everyone else was studying, Avery and I woke up early and took the train to Pompeii. Unfortunately my camera wasn't working so I didn't get any pictures. But we will be going back in the spring so if I can get my camera working I can take pictures then. As we walked into Pompeii there was a sense of awe from all of the patrons. Pompeii is even more beautiful than I ever imagined it would be. The shops still have marble countertops smoothed down flat, the houses have inticate patetrns in one by one tiles and you can see the wagon ruts in the stone roads. It's like being transported back in time. We trailed a couple of the tours that were in English but eventually we went off on our own exploing the temples and even getting all the way to their colluseum and theatres. Mr. Guarnaccia told us that Pinmk Floyd played in the theatre there one time. What I would give to see a show there! It's beautiful. After leaving Pompeii we decided to take a bus up to Mount Vesuvius. The bus is terrifying because it comes so close to the edge of the mountain, I didn't think it was going to make it up those steep hills. When it dropped us off at the landing point we continued to trek up to the mouth of the volcano. What a sight. Inside you could see the volcano steaming and even a few trees growing inside. The rocks were glistening in the sun. And if you looked out you could see the sea, and a couple of islands in the distance, and all of Naples splayed across the horizon. It was the most remarkable moment of my entire life.

Tonight I am going to San Georgio with some girls from class 4D. They're going to take me to all of their favorite stores so hopefully I will finally get to do some shopping! It's a very exciting thing to be invited out. I mean, my host family is great and I would be lost without Alessandra and Matilde, but there's nothing that compares to having some girlfriends.

No comments:

Post a Comment